- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel the onions and roughly slice. In a hot frying pan, melt the butter, add the sugar and caramelise the onions over a medium heat.
- Place the slices of bread on a sheet of baking paper. Spoon over a generous serving of the cooked onions. Top each slice with a generous portion of cheese and bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown the steak on a hot grill.
- Take the bread slices out of the oven once the cheese has nicely melted. Cut the grilled steak into small slices and share among the slices.
- Garnish with a few sprigs of chives and pickled onions, which will add a tangy acidic touch.
😉 Tip: You could replace the beef rib steak in this recipe with a veal cutlet or some farmhouse chicken fillets.